A group blog for working on UnRuly Quilting projects and most especially UnRuly Letters. What is UnRuly? Liberated, wonky, improvisational, mis-matched, points cut off FUN.

Friday, February 21, 2014

Unruly Birds

Hello out there!

It's been a long time since anyone has posted here.
Aren't you feeling very unruly?

Here's a little quilt (27" x 40") that I finished this week.  I found the "HOW TO" about the birds in a fun book called Hot Flashes of Inspiration by Kandi Kelderman and Kim Schissel.



Here's a close-up of one of the blocks.  I quilted the whole thing side to side with straight lines about 1/2 inch apart.  It took a while, but gave the quilt a neat texture and feel.




11 comments:

joe tulips said...

Nice work! I haven't tried just straight quilting lines yet. I always do the wavy back and forth.

Tonya Ricucci said...

yay!!!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your birds are wonderful, they each have their own character.

QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, do more posting here!

I love the birds. I have this fascination for birds, trees, houses and chickens. No idea why that contamination. I really love the straight line quilting. it just feels different from everything else.

Lori R. said...

Joe Tulips - my "straight" lines aren't really straight. I tried that once and it made me CRAZY. For this and others like it, I marked the center to get started, then just followed the edge of the presser foot - sometime making spaces a little wider, a little narrower. The over all appearance pleases me.

Beth said...

I love birds! This looks great.

AnnieO said...

Those are darling birds!

Cher said...

oh I have this pattern-from block lotto by Jean-sophie Wood too!
yours are so fun! thanks for sharing...

roccagal said...

i just adore these birds from Sophie! I have a pile of them waiting to be assembled into a quilt as i asked for this as a bee block! gotta make some time!!!
great finish!

i luv this blog and wish more people would post here

June D said...

Beautiful colors and fabric choices for this project. Nice!

liz said...

I'm curious when that book was published. I've seen these birds on a blog and thought that quilter had come up with the idea... don't remember who it was right now.