A group blog for working on UnRuly Quilting projects and most especially UnRuly Letters. What is UnRuly? Liberated, wonky, improvisational, mis-matched, points cut off FUN.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Time To Begin . . .

Photo courtesy of Google Images


For many years, 
we lived in Elkhart, Indiana,
near the Amish communities of 
Shipshewana, Middlebury, and Nappanee.

Driving from point A to point B almost always involved
passing by neatly tended Amish farms 
and/or Amish families walking or traveling in their buggies.

Photo courtesy of Google Images
While most people think of darker-colored adult Amish clothing,
we were accustomed to the brighter colors 
many Amish children wore.

Those are the colors I went looking for in my stash.



These are the fabrics that I have pulled.




I spent hours (and hours!) trying to decide 
which quilt I wanted to single out as my inspiration.

You can't see all the sticky notes ~ I cropped off that edge.
(there are a LOT of them)


In the end, I have settled on this quilt.

* * *

I am also participating in Brenda's String Thing Along,
and my liberated version of the Roman Stripe quilt above
will absolutely feature LOTS of strings.

I'll be posting here and there as well as on my own blog.
(linking back and forth as best I can)

* * *

Thanks, Tonya for this challenge!!

I am SO ready to begin!

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

That's a beautiful inspiration quilt. How lucky you are to have such familiarity with the Amish. I'll look forward to seeing what you make!

Elaine M said...

Thank you for sharing your journey. Love seeing the bright Amish clothes and the fabrics you have pulled.

joe tulips said...

This reminds me of a tractor ride we went on. It traveled though Amish areas. My most vivid memory is of one home that had the laundry hanging out to dry. It was beautiful. Deep red, blues and purples hanging all over. I wish I had a picture, it was so pretty.

Tonya Ricucci said...

wow, love those colors. so fun to see that stack of books - I have all of them too! love the inspiration quilt!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Thank you for sharing those colourful photos. You'll have fun with that amazing quilt as your inspiration.

linda said...

We have the same library!!