A group blog for working on UnRuly Quilting projects and most especially UnRuly Letters. What is UnRuly? Liberated, wonky, improvisational, mis-matched, points cut off FUN.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'm a believer now......

Tonya is making a quilt using 1 1/2 strips. Lots of strips, using old and sometimes ugly fabric. I saw it and thought NO WAY. If I did that it would be ugly. She encouraged me to try it.

I have enough old fabric, and even ugly fabric that I thought I would never use.
I also had a bunch of small triangles, cut off corners, that could make flying geese. They are small, and I just about tossed them.
I thought about the 1 1/2 strips, I thought about the geese and wondered, what if I combined them?



I liked it.
I liked it alot!
I even started to love it.
It became addicting. I made even more blocks......




In theory the rows should be 12 1/2 inches tall when sewn, they aren't. They are closer to 12 inches....easy to trim using my 12 inch ruler.
I am now a believer, you can mix old, new and even ugly fabrics to create a one of a kind quilt!

20 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

This is great. The flying geese add just the right movement.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love it, too ... there is definitely one of these on my list!!!

Jan said...

Your blocks look great, and the geese really add a spark. My fabric is all reproduction, though, so I'm not sure it would have the same effect. It may just end up looking like mud. I am very tempted to give it a try, though!

Diane said...

Ohhhh geeeez...this looks so good. Just what I need, another project and another reason to save even the littlest pieces...

Lynn said...

Wonderful! I love how you alternated the direction of the strips. I think I may even have some of the fabrics you used in my stash!

Heidi said...

this is wonderful !
what a great idea to combine the triangles with the stripes.
one more reason for me to start such a quilt < big sigh > ;-)

Monika said...

You´re right - these looks pretty good! All those different fabrics mixed up - AND it looks good!! (I´ll keep this in mind)

Tonya Ricucci said...

fantastic, Julie!!! love it. In response to Jan, the original antique was made with "repro" fabric (only it wasn't reproduction then it was just "fabric") and it's amazing. so yes, one of these done with all repros would be beautiful. just make sure you have darks and lights.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

beautiful! I love the way all the fabrics work together, it's just what I need for some of my ugly fabric.

linda

Kim said...

Julie that is looking great....yes I am getting sucked in I have a block in progress! The flying geese give a lovely touch and make it all yours.

Ha I found my 1.5 inch strip storage box and it has all kinds of novelty fabrics I used for an I spy quilt for my niece when she was a toddler.....she just graduated from HS :0). time to use em up!

Happy Sewing

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Remember if you think a fabric is ugly, cut it up, if you still think it is ugly, you didn't cut it up small enough.

Pattilou said...

Isn't it fun when a creative spark hits? Love your results.

Sandra Kaye said...

Absolutely wonderful!!!!! Love all the color. Is there a tutorial on this process?? Or a book?? Let me know. I have a gazillion scraps.:):) hugs --- sandie

Amy said...

**GASP**
I L-O-V-E the blocks of the 1.5" strips!!!! I TOTALLY may need to borrow that look. LOVE it!!!

sewkalico said...

I also like it a lot!!! Very cool. I am so tempted to hop on the not so 'ugly' wagon!

jackie said...

Looks like a lot of hard work, which you should be proud of - thanks for vsiting my blog.

Carol E. said...

I love it with the flying geese and checkerboards here and there!

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of the flying geese! I've been cutting strips of scraps to make one too, but I can't decide what I want to add to make it different..

Michelle said...

I've been madly loving that quilt pattern, and your geese make it even better -- what a great idea!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is beautiful! The quilt is so lively and fun.